Saturday, April 25, 2009

We're having a party...

So it's 3:30 this morning and I'm wide awake thinking, "OMG Julie and I are throwing a party today and I have nothing to wear!"  Actually, attire was the furthest thing from my mind. But baking, oh yeah, my mind was definitely on baking.  So at 4:30 (I wasted an hour trying to convince myself to get some more sleep) I got up and got to it.  By the way, I understand that "real" bakers get up hours earlier than that so technically, I guess I really did sleep in:)  I started with Strawberry Lemon Balm Scones (organic strawberries courtesy of Whole Foods and Lemon Balm straight from my garden) and moved on to Cinnamon Blueberry Muffins (I can't claim the blueberries yet, but the eggs definitely came from my chickens: Gabriella and Montana). Next up, Meyer Lemon and Dried Blueberry Scones (yes, the Meyers are mine).  And finally, Strawberry and Eureka Lemonade (Eureka's mine, see above for strawberries).  Not bad for 8:30 on a Saturday morning!  Confession time... First, I may be a baking machine but I'm a terrible mother: my daughter Hannah woke up, lured downstairs by the "incredible smell mommy" and I did not let her have one single nibble!!  Second, note I used the term "baking machine" not "great baker"- so be impressed with the quantity, but don't set your expectations too high for the quality...

With that behind me and all the other behind the scenes legwork Julie and I have been putting in since we presented the Marin Open Garden Project to our EFM (Environmental Forum of Marin) classmates, today is the day for putting it all together.  That vague day far off in the future in late April is suddenly here and between now and 3pm there's a lot of work to be done. While Julie has already secured the beer and the music, as well as lined up supplies to make scarecrows and pinwheels and a long list of other sundry items (did I mention Julie also got us in the paper?), I feel woefully behind and incredibly inadequate.  

Will I pull it off my end of things? Well, you'll just have to show up at 3pm and find out for yourself! To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment